National Guideline Clearinghouse
The National Guideline Clearinghouse™ (NGC) is an on-line, publicly available database of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines and related documents.
The Clearinghouse—principally used by providers, payers, employers and researchers—is designed to be an educational tool, providing aggregate information on evidence-based practices. The database may also be of some general use to patients and their families who seek information on disease/condition and treatment/intervention guidelines.
The NGC is produced by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) in partnership with the American Medical Association (AMA) and the American Association of Health Plans (AAHP) Foundation. The NGC is updated weekly with new content. Key components of the NGC include:
- Standardized abstracts about each guideline and its development.
- A utility for comparing attributes of two or more guidelines in a side-by-side chart.
- Syntheses of guidelines covering similar topics, highlighting the similarities and differences.
- Links to full-text guidelines, where available, and/or ordering information for print copies.
- Annotated bibliographies on guideline development methodology, structure, implementation and evaluation.