NYSHIP stands for the “New York State Health Insurance Program.”
It is a benefit program, established in 1957, to provide health insurance coverage to state and local government employees.
Today, more than 1.2 million state and local government workers, retirees and their families are covered under the NYSHIP program. NYSHIP is the largest public employer health insurance program in the nation, outside of the federal government.
NYSHIP offers coverage through its own preferred provider organization (PPO) health plan, called The Empire Plan, and through 10 HMOs located around New York. The following HMOs participate in the NYSHIP program:
- Blue Choice (a product of Excellus BCBS)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of WNY
- Capital District Physicians’ Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- GHI HMO, an Emblem Health Company
- HIP Health Plan of New York, and Emblem Health Company
- HMOBlue (a product of Excellus BCBS)
- Independent Health
- MVP Health Care
For more information about the NYSHIP program, call 1-877-7-NYSHIP (1-877-769-7447) or contact NYS Civil Service, which oversees the NYSHIP Program at 518-457-5754 (Albany area) or 1-800-833-4344 (outside Albany).