On Thursday, May 31, 2018, NYHPA hosted a Health Policy Forum held at the Empire State Plaza in Albany, NY. The forum examined current spending trends associated with prescription drug costs, the impact on health care costs, and policy options to address rising prescription costs. While breakthrough medications offer tremendous clinical benefits for patients, prescription drug spending is placing increasing pressure on the ability of consumers, employers and the state to pay for health care.
Robin Gelburd, the founding President of FAIR Health, kicked off the forum by discussing current trends in the specialty drug market (click the button below to download a copy of her presentation).
This was followed by an overview of initiatives states have implemented to control drug spending and other policy options being considered across the country. A reactor panel providing their perspectives on these challenges followed consisting of:
- Greg Allen, Director, Division of Program Development & Management, NYS DOH Office of Health Insurance Programs
- Robin Gelburd, JD, President, FAIR Health
- April Alexander, Assistant Vice President of State Affairs, PCMA
- Amanda Dunker, Policy Associate – Health Initiatives, Community Service Society of New York
- Eileen F. Wood, RPh, MBA, Senior Vice President, Clinical Integration Chief Pharmacy Officer,
Capital District Physicians’ Health Plan
- Kelly Ryan, Senior Director, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America
HPA forums and webinars provide our members with a convenient and economical way to learn in depth about a variety of timely and relevant issues of importance to industry professionals. Topics include a wide array of issues. HPA offers affiliate members and other health industry vendors an opportunity to host a forum or webinar. If you are interested in more details about hosting or additional information regarding any of our events, please contact Arlene Halpert.